Tri Diva Reunion Event? Hell, yeah!

Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Good Day to Wipe Out!

I have been training hard on my new road bike. It's nothing fancy by any means, but it's my first brand new bike since I was a wee one. I have now built up to an average of 14 miles a day. At first, I dreaded the biking segment of the triathlon. Swimming is not a problem for me...and the run, well I figure I can always put one foot in front of the other and make that to the finish line. But in the beginning, when I first agreed to complete my first tri, it was the cycling that frightened me.

Being me...I dove in head first and made very fast progress in just three months. Now, the bike is what I look forward to everyday. I hate even taking a day off...feeling that I may miss something. Miss that ME time that the bike fulfills and helps work out all daily problems in my head.

I was told...if you haven't wiped out will eventually. Well, yesterday was destined to be my first, and with my luck, I'm sure it's not my last.
Right away...I felt something about the day was off. Like a Friday the 13th for some...Hump day was not kind, or perhaps it was my luckiest day yet. Whichever it is....Nature tried to warn me. First off, a truck ran right out in front of me and I braked okay for that to slow myself and let him pass on by without casualty. I thought to myself...Jerk...I know you just saw me. The nerve of some people. Well, I shook it off and realized every cyclist has this happen at one time or another and that I should leave it behind me...just let it go. Can you tell I'm completely over it? :-)

Later on, I would realize this little speed bump in my workout would only be the beginning, a warm up for what was to come.

I decided to do my normal route in reverse, meaning I went the opposite way around. I'm one that gets tired of the same old thing, so I thought I'd switch it up. Maybe I disturbed the planets alinement or it could have been the whole big bang experiment they conducted yesterday. Whatever it was...mother nature did not like.

After working my way up a monster of a hill, a boxer came out of nowhere and started chasing me down. I didn't have a can of halt, but I wasn't going to let the demon know I was frightened of him. Momma don't play tag!

I reached for my water bottle and squirted him right in the face. He was so stunned...he stop chasing and just gazed in disbelief as I peddled safely away. I giggled to myself...and rejoiced in my cleverness.

Before long...two little possessed, heal bitters came out of nowhere....nipping at my feet. I reached for the water bottle a second time. What worked once was sure to work again.

However, these mutts had a one tracked mind. The water did not distract them in the least. All that I could do was pick up speed and out run them....escaping yet again without harm.

I stopped to look at a house that was for lease, then called my husband and left the call back number with him. I happily rode away, talking on the phone about how nice the house was and yadda yadda. I had just told him good bye...ready to end our conversation... as I knew not to be on the phone while riding. It could be I've heard.

Before I hung up..A crazy ass dog ran OUT OF NOWHERE and stopped dead in front of my bike. I reached my free hand for the brake....but it wasn't slowing me fast enough. I put my right foot down hoping a little drag would slow me down even faster. Mind ya...this was on a down hill...

That was it, once my foot hit the ground...the bike just kept on going full speed. I flew off the bike...the dog yelped, as I slide across the asphalt off into a ditch.

The first thing I remember hearing my husband yelling from my phone, “What happened?”

I grabbed the phone and told him I had crashed my bike.

“Are you alright,” he asked?

Grumbling about not knowing until I got up off the ground....I slowly picked myself up. Once I double checked for protruding bone injuries...thank God there were none....I looked around for the dog.

He was GONE! My husband had heard the poor dog yelp over the phone during the crash and so he asked me, “Did your wheel run over him?”

I thought to myself...Damn, I forgot to look as I was flying through the air and hitting asphalt at twenty miles an hour, head first, IF I ran completely over the freaking dog.

In the end, my war wounds are not near as bad as they could have been. I feel extremely blessed that road rash on my knee and upper right arm is the most serious of all my injuries. I have bumps and bruises from my face on down, but nothing that will not heal completely up and have me back on my bike in just a few days time.

My bike also came through with just a few scrapes and a loose brake handle. My helmet wears the scrapes and gashed that could have been my head if not protected. Always wear one that is certified!!!
After a quick visit to the doctor for a tetanus shot and cleansing of my wounds...I'm safely back home recouping.

Looking back on it....It was a Good Day for a Wipe Out :-)


Courtney said...

I'm glad you're ok, girl. Thank goodness for your helmet. :)

Jenn said...

EEKS!!! I'm glad you're ok! As Peter from the bike shop would say, Brain Buckets are a must.

But it's official! You're a CYCLIST! :)

Lass said...

YAY for a helmet!
*makes note to replace hers and wear it always*

Julie said...

Oh, I'm glad you're ok!

I feel ya on the luck though... I try to ride without expecting my next wipeout, but the odds are usually against me when grace is required.