Tri Diva Reunion Event? Hell, yeah!

Monday, October 13, 2008

Danskin Dreams

Danskin Austin is 8 months away, but the event is already taking up a nice chunk of real estate in my head. I plan to do at least one other sprint triathlon before Danskin in June, but I can't help but focus on the Austin event. I feel the purpose of this year's tri was simply to prove to myself that I could do it. I wasn't focused on individual discipline/transition times. I just wanted to cross the finish line without having my gimpy foot in a ziplock freezer bag. Mission accomplished.

For Danskin '09, I have a few elements I'd like to improve before Sally does her warm-up cheer...

Put in serious pool time: I made no secret of my aversion to swim training and while it didn't take me 2 days to finish the 1/2 mile swim, 29 minutes is nothing to truly celebrate. Austin *must* be different. I may always view the swim as the necessary evil in triathlon, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't improve on my weakest event. The Austin course has a turn and depending on who you talk to, this may/may not add a degree of difficulty. I actually appreciated the Chicagoland swim because it was straight across the lake. It was nice to be able to look up and see the finish (an integral part of the swim mind games I was playing LOL).

Transitions: Ok, I know this year's Danskin wasn't a time issue for us, but we spent a HUGE amount of time in the transition areas. Seriously, we did everything but pull out a grill and make paninis. My goal for Austin is to keep it short and sweet. The "team togetherness" element will be removed (we've all pretty much agreed that we'll be sappy before and after the race...the middle part? every woman for herself), so I'm going to treat T1/T2 like my tri idols do.

Bike: My best event and the chance to make up the most time. The Austin course is hilly and I plan to train accordingly. I did part of the Danskin route during Ride for the Roses and I remember a few crazy hills and one ridiculous downhill that has a sharp turn at the end. Umm...why?

Run: I *have* to change my mindset about running. It's no secret that I despise it. People tell me I'll love it once I really get into it. Doubtful. If I do end up becoming a runner by the time this is all over, I'll eat a running shoe. Seriously. It will be a hit on youtube. Anyway, it is pointless for me to work so hard improving my other times, only to finish by walking the 5K portion. Even a steady jog would be better than walking, eh?

Losing Poundage: The more I lose, the less I have to haul on the course. I'd also like to look better overall. Tri suits are unforgiving and I want less rolls in the bakery for '09. I'll even do a side-by-side comparison. If y'all don't see a major improvement between 2008/2009, you can let me have it, mmmkay? If I don't get serious about getting the rest of this weight off, it will be here forever. I'd also like to get my beloved D&B bag before it's officially out of style.

So, that's my focus right now. Boring entry for those not interested in training, but after the shock/excitement/chaos that's entered my life lately, I need something to encourage discipline/structure/sanity.

Have a great week!
C

2 comments:

Julie said...

I feel bad, but I'm not sure who Sally is... I should research this.

Julie said...

omg... I just read that link...

"Sally has finished every Danskin Triathlon (as of 2005, sixteen years worth) dead last, as the "Final Finisher," inspiring more than 100,000 other women to make it across the finish line in front of her."

That totally brought tears to my eyes!