Tri Diva Reunion Event? Hell, yeah!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Swim Coach Meet-up

Last night I met with the swim coach! I learned sooooo much, which is good. But now I have to break some habits and have a lot to practice. We fixed a few things with my technique, but she was impressed I learned so much from You Tube videos. She said I had great head position, "roll" and "reach"

I hold my breath while I swim. I never knew I was supposed to blow bubbles out through my mouth while swimming! I would just take a breath and hold it until the next breath. Last Summer, when Cassie took swim lessons, they did a lot of that bubble blowing. The thought crossed my mind there, if that's what I was supposed to do to. Go figure. The coach said it's a good idea to do drills where you inhale and release (at a slow pace) to get used to it.

The coach also did the Lonestar Tri before and she said the water is "breath-taking-ly cold", in that it will literally take your breath away if you're not prepared. She highly recommends a wet suit. She said the majority of the folks at that race wear the wetsuit. *E* if you're reading this, you're 100% right to wear yours! Coach also recommends going to their seminar the night before, to get a peak at the course and touch the water.

4 comments:

Calyx Meredith said...

I'm not sure if you want comments from outside your group but I wanted to say I've been following along with your swim progress and I'm really impressed. Head position is not an easy thing to get right - especially at first - especially if you've been holding your breath!! Yay you. Good luck with your training!

Donna said...

Thanks for the comments... I appreciate them and can use all the help I can get!

Lass said...

Donna!!! You've been holding your breath? How the heck do you swim!? I'm in awe of your lung power. Seriously.
Even after a lifetime of swimming (ok, with a reaaaaally long break), I stroke for breath not -- as some might think -- to get me from one end of the pool to the other! This is what runs in my head:
stroke, stroke, stroke, breathe thankyougod, stroke, stroke, stroke, breathe thankyougod...

Donna said...

Yes, I've been holding my breath, breathing after every 3rd stroke.

The first time I thought, "maybe I'm doing something wrong", was when Cass took lessons and they were making them blow bubbles. Plus then I heard about the kid who aspirated water and drowned 2 hours after getting out the pool; had he been "blowing bubbles", he would not have aspirated.

Anyway, I decided to ask the question last night. Needless to say Suzy was surprised when I told her I hold my breath. LOL

Admittedly though, breaking the habit is HARD!!! It messes up my pace/rhythm. I just have to get it back. I will admit too, that breathing right, makes you feel so much better and loose!